Thursday, September 29, 2011

The beach, kids and Nilla Wafers

Julie Jack & Ashley at beach


I can’t remember the last time I ate a Nilla Wafer. But this summer, we were visiting the beach and I had one. And guess what? Nilla Wafers are good! I’d forgotten that. I don’t know, but maybe it was just the fact that we were at the beach that made them seem so tasty.

My family regularly visits Destin, Florida, which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the United States. I’m not just saying that--the travel magazines will confirm. Anyway, I was there with my niece, my son and his friend, all over the age of twenty.

Some might think that going to the beach is only fun when you can build sandcastles with little kids. Not true!. I've been taking my son to Destin since he was six weeks old and can honestly say that it was as much fun going with a big kid as it was going with a little one. Maybe even more fun! I didn’t have to run up to the condo for bathroom breaks, clean sandy hands with wipes, and worry about sunscreen. It was actually most enjoyable.

I watched other younger mothers worrying about UV rays, jellyfish, and waves. Not me. I sat in my lounge chair and carried on a grown-up conversation about the next American Idol, the Royal Wedding, and the NBA playoffs. It was grand. Nilla Wafers in hand, at the beach, with my grown-up kid. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Those Nilla Wafers were SO good! And what about the hot dogs we walked across the street to get? Great weekend of fun, food and family. It's the simple things to be thankful for in life. And God provides in abundance!

    ReplyDelete