Monday, September 26, 2011

Hope in a house

H of H Auction


My friend Marilyn founded House of Hope in Kansas City, a residential treatment program for hurting teens. Last week my husband and I, along with eight friends, joined Marilyn for the annual Stars and Spurs Barbecue and Auction. Two young ladies shared their stories, and both received standing ovations. It's amazing to know that this is a place that's truly making a difference in the lives of teenage girls.

Here are some facts about teenagers I learned recently via the House of Hope website:
  • Fifty percent of high school seniors report drinking alcohol in the past 30 days
  • Seven in 10 girls have sex before age 14
  • The average age for a teen to start smoking is 12 1/2 years
  • Suicide is the third leading cause of death of young people ages 15-24
  • In the U.S., it's estimated that one in every 200 girls between 13 and 19 years old cut themselves regularly
Thankfully, when a concerned parent is willing to do something about their rebellious teenage daughter, there is a place in Kansas City that can help. Check your community to see if you have a House of Hope. If you do, get involved!

P.S. Are you wondering what we purchased at the auction? My husband proudly bid on and won four tickets to Sporting KC (our local soccer team) as well as six car washes and eight barbecue sandwiches. I bid on and won a dozen roses. And our friends Becky and Doug purchased the centerpiece from our table and gave it to me!

1 comment:

  1. HOPE IN A HOUSE!!!! I love it, and loved the inspiring evening.

    ReplyDelete