Friday, January 13, 2017

A Word...


For the past six years, instead of making a list of new year resolutions--that I would most likely fail to keep--I have claimed a word for the year. My awesome niece introduced me to this idea and it has been an important tool to help me focus on things that are important, especially for that year. For example, after both of my parents passed away, I chose the word "smile," because at that time of my life it had been a long time since I felt like smiling. The following year, the word "embrace" found me. I say that it found me because in searching for my second-year-word, I had looked high and low for the perfect word. During a conversation with a friend, I told her, "I want a word that embraces all the things I want to achieve this year." The moment the word "embrace" came out of my mouth, I knew it was my word for that year.

Some years, the word has come easily to me. Other years, I have struggled to find the right fit for the perfect word.

This year is an example of a time when I have struggled to discover my word. I know that IMAGINE is a perfect word. It's the word behind More Than You Imagine Ministries--the ministry where I challenge women to live a wild and wonderful life with Jesus. So, when I "test-drove" it on a couple of friends (who are all too familiar with me and the word imagine), they were less than enthusiastic. I think they thought it was an unoriginal word for me. But sometimes, I think it's important to go back to the basics. And for me, this year, that's exactly what I want to do: remember all the reasons why I'm involved in ministry in the first place.

I feel it's time to re-engage! So this year, I'm IMAGINING:

I'm IMAGINING a great God who wants to do greater things in my life than even I can dream about.

I'm IMAGINING how my little world (women in my circle) and my big world (women I don't even know) might be different if I shared more Jesus with them.

I'm IMAGINING how things I think are impossible can really happen this year.

It's exciting when a word becomes YOUR word. I hope that you will discover a word this year. Or maybe a word may discover you. Either way, it's a refreshing and fun way to help you to keep your focus on your main things.

...and if you do claim a word for the year, I would love to hear from you!











No comments:

Post a Comment