Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Butterflies & lizards

This past week I was visiting in Florida. The butterflies were everywhere. At first I thought they were Monarch butterflies. But after Googling them, I learned that they are called the Gulf Fritillary, also known as the Passion Butterfly.  These butterflies migrate to the Florida area in late summer. Not only were these butterflies everywhere; they were friendly. It was fun to approach them because they didn’t fly away and acted like they were happy to have you nearby. 

Also in large populations were lizards. Called Anoles, these lizards make their presence known year round. But, for some reason, they seemed to be more heavily populated than usual. I’m wondering if they were trying to compete with the butterflies. 

So here’s the deal--the butterfly’s job is to pollinate; the lizard’s job is to eat icky bugs. Which is more important? I don’t know. I can tell you though, the butterflies were pretty and happy. The lizards were slippery and afraid of people. Pretty or ugly, they both serve very important roles in nature. I don’t really have a big point to make here except to say: this is truly an example of “you can’t judge a book by its cover.” 

So then, my prayer for today: Lord, help me to love people equally--no matter what they look or act like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment