Monday, June 25, 2012

When things don't go my way

We watched as the crowd went crazy. The Miami Heat had just defeated the Oklahoma City Thunder. It was a phenomenal sight. Miami had played a nearly perfect game. They looked like champions, and now, they were champions. Unfortunately, my son, sister and I were cheering for the Oklahoma City Thunder. We were sad.

I've had a few days to reflect on my sadness. I wish I could honestly tell you that today I am less sad that Miami won, but I'm still not there.  

However, what I have realized is this: even though I am sad, there are a whole lot of people in Miami who are happy. And I'm genuinely glad about that. I'm satisfied in knowing that my sadness isn't universal. Someone out there is happy -- happy that their team won. 

I want to remember that just because circumstances aren't hunky-dory for me; it doesn't mean the whole world is suffering. I want to get past "me" and move on to others.

Yes, I'm sad. That darn Miami Heat team. But I can't help thinking about the 10-year-old Miami Heat fan sitting behind me during the game. Last Thursday, I saw a little boy's dream came true. His team won a NBA Final Championship. How can I be sad about that?

What happens when things don't go my way? I look around and enjoy watching things go someone else's way.

However, I must give the Heat fans a warning: Watch out, we'll be back. Thunder Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment